All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBuilding on the Marxian view of alienation as the inevitable consequence of wage labor that divests human beings of control over their life forces, The Evolution of Alienation provides new insights into contemporary conditions. Contributors explore how alienation is fostered t only by television freak shows and shock music, but also by programmed schooling and even by some scientific theories. Others show that the contradictory relationships possible in some domains, among them, new techlogies and domestic work, disclose niches of fulfillment that belie alienation.
- Author BiographyDevorah Kalekin-Fishman is a senior researcher at the University of Haifa in Israel. Currently a member of the Executive of the International Sociological Association, she is past president of the ISA committee for Alienation Research and Theory. Dr. Kalekin-Fishman is the editor of the International Sociology Review of Books and serves on the editorial boards of Current Sociology, Intercultural Education, and the Mediterranean Journal of Educational Studies. Recent publications include a critical analysis of Ideology, Policy, and Practice: Education for Immigrants and Minorities in Israel (Kluwer) and an edited volume, Designs for Alienation: Exploring Diverse Realities (Finland: SoPhi Press). Lauren Langman is a professor of sociology at Loyola University of Chicago. He is past chairman of the Marxist Sociology of American Sociological Association and current President of Alienation Research and Theory, of the International Sociological Association. His recent publications include a special issue of American Behavioral Politics devoted to the presidency in a television age, the social psychology of nationalism for the Handbook of Nationalism, and alternative globalization movements in Sociological Theory.
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield
- Date of Publication18/11/2005
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRowman & Littlefield Publishers
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight526 g
- Width212 mm
- Height302 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byDevorah Kalekin-Fishman,Lauren Langman
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.11Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.