All listings for this product
About this product
- Descriptionllluminated by a great assortment of original illustrations, this remarkable book charts the step-by-step evolution of vertebrate blood coagulation. Intended for readers with a background in biological science, it is specifically targeted for those in the field of molecular evolution as well as for researchers in the area of blood clotting. After providing some general background in the areas of blood clotting, protein structure, animal systematics, and simple gemics, the book focusses in on the search for blood clotting genes in the gemes of n-mammalian vertebrates, including fish, amphibians, reptiles and birds. The inventory of genes found allows a reconstruction of events culminating in the complex clotting system observed in humans and other mammals. Also examined are the gemes of protochordates like the sea squirt, leading to conjecture about how blood clotting was first initiated. The orderly way in which gene duplications provided new genes for fine-tuning the system serves as a model for how complex physiological systems in general have evolved. The book ends with suggestions for specific genetic engineering experiments that can be done to illustrate how molecular evolution works. An extensive glossary and guide to the current literature combine to make this book ideal for course use as well as for self study.
- Author BiographyRUSSELL DOOLITTLE is an Emeritus Professor at the University of California, San Diego, USA, where he has spent most of his long career. He received his PhD in Biochemistry from Harvard University in 1962. His research interests have centred on the structure and evolution of proteins in general and, more particularly, on blood clotting proteins, an interest he developed while a graduate student at Harvard. He is a member of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences, the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, and the American Philosophical Society.
- Author(s)Russell F. Doolittle
- PublisherUniversity Science Books,U.S.
- Date of Publication15/11/2012
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationSausalito
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2012
- ImprintUniversity Science Books,U.S.
- Content NoteIllustrations (some col.)
- Weight672 g
- Width183 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine21 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $87.24New
- AU $41.13Used
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.36New
- AU $112.89New
- AU $97.70Used
- AU $33.23New
- AU $30.36New
- AU $20.41New
- AU $33.86New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.02Trending at AU $37.97
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $43.36
- AU $29.55Trending at AU $30.36
- AU $61.00Trending at AU $63.02
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.68
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.78
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.