All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA compelling study of ufficial postwar Soviet art, The Experimental Group takes as its point of departure a subject of strange fascination: the life and work of rewned professional illustrator and conceptual artist Ilya Kabakov. Kabakov's art-icoclastic installations, paintings, illustrations, and texts-delicately experiments with such issues as history, mortality, and disappearance, and here exemplifies a much larger narrative about the work of the artists who rose to prominence just as the Soviet Union began to disintegrate. By placing Kabakov and his conceptualist peers in line with our own contemporary perspective, Matthew Jesse Jackson suggests that the art that emerged in the wake of Stalin belongs neither entirely to its lost communist past r to a future free from socialist stalgia. Instead, these artists and their work produced a critical and controversial chapter in the as yet unwritten history of global contemporary art.
- Author BiographyMatthew Jesse Jackson teaches in the Departments of Art History and Visual Arts at the University of Chicago.
- Author(s)Matthew Jesse Jackson
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication22/03/2016
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight1279 g
- Width216 mm
- Height267 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.