Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $48.54Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by buyitnowbooksoz2010
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis landmark investigation of child labour explores difficult conceptual and public policy issues. It demonstrates the sheer prevalence of the commercial exploitation of child labour in both industrial and developing countries, and its rapid growth today under the twin pressures of mass poverty and the globalized marketplace for labour. In addition to its rich empirical material from countries in Asia, Latin America, Africa and Europe, the following approaches stand out: The clear distinction made between the socialization of children through labour within the family and their ecomic exploitation for profit; The analysis illuminating the transition between these two phemena that is w proceeding apace; An analytical focus on the role of adults with responsibility for children, and the specific form which paternal domination takes towards children; The very difficult issues of public policy that have to be faced. At a time when there is more awareness of the exploitation of children than previously, this compelling volume gives us t only a moving portrait of children's exploitation, but the tools needed to understand its roots and what, given the political will, needs to be done.
- Author BiographyBernard Schlemmer, the editor of this volume, is Director of Research at the French Institute for Scientific Research into Development and Cooperation (ORSTOM) in Paris. He is the editor of numerous edited volumes in French, including Terrains et engagements de Claude Meillassoux (Paris: Karthala, 1998) and has contributed articles to numerous scholarly journals in French, Spanish and English.
- PublisherZed Books Ltd
- Date of Publication01/06/2000
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintZed Books Ltd
- Content Notetables, notes, index
- Weight540 g
- Width156 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byBernard Schlemmer
- Translated byPhilip Dresner
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.87Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.78
- AU $36.61Trending at AU $37.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.