All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionKhotso Sethuntsa, the near-legendary medicine man, was believed to be a worker of powerful and dangerous magic. Khotso was rewned and feared throughout South Africa and beyond, even after his death in 1972. He created a fabulous eccentric kingdom around himself. He has been surrounded by mystery: the origins of his fortune and the extent of his powers shrouded in secrecy. This title takes us into the world of one of southern Africa's best-kwn herbalists. Khotso was famed, especially, as a seller of ibangalala, a herbal remedy for sexual potency, and ukuthwala, a terrifying procedure for acquiring long-term wealth. Also, he claimed to be in spiritual contact with Paul Kruger, hinting that his fortune derived from the long-lost Kruger millions. Meanwhile, leading Afrikaner Nationalists politicians, including H.F.Verwoed and J.G.Strijdom, sought Khotso out - for his medicines for political power, it has been said. Some believed that Khotso had entered into an occult pact with the mamlambo, the seductive mermaid woman who grants wealth at a terrible price. It is rumoured that the tragic twists and turns in his life sprung from this. Yet, as one of his many wives said, he was, too, a lively, joking medicine man who loved money, sex and laughter. This title unravels many of the mysteries surrounding Khotso Sethuntsa. It explores his unique empire and tracks his extraordinary career.
- Author BiographyFelicity Wood teaches in the English department at the University of Fort Hare, South Africa. She specializes in collecting Eastern Cape oral narratives that deal with aspects of the supernatural. Michael Lewis is a South African development economist who, in the 1990s, heard stories about a millionaire medicine man, discovered Khotso Sethuntsa, and conducted a series of interviews with people who knew him.
- Author(s)Felicity Wood,Michael Lewis
- PublisherJacana Media (Pty) Ltd
- Date of Publication14/06/2007
- SubjectBiography: General
- Place of PublicationJohannesburg
- Country of PublicationSouth Africa
- ImprintJacana Media
- Content NoteIllustrations (some col.), maps, ports.
- Weight830 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Most relevant reviews
- mabefu18 Dec, 2014by
interesting person and story
interesting reading. however very long winded. you get the feeling the authors are trying to pad out the book .
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $29.85Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $18.30Trending at AU $24.34
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.72Trending at AU $41.34
- AU $16.90Trending at AU $20.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.