All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe narrator is a scientist hideously deformed in a laboratory accident - a man who has lost his face and, with it, connection to other people. Even his wife is w repulsed by him. His only entry back into the world is to create a mask so perfect as to be undetectable. But soon he finds that such mask is more than a disguise: it is an alternate self - a self that is capable of anything. A remorseless meditation on nature, identity, and the social contract, THE FACE OF ANOTHER is an intellectual horror story of the highest order.
- Author BiographyKobo Abe was born in Tokyo in 1924, grew up in Manchuria, and returned to Japan in his early twenties. Before his death in 1993, Abe was considered his country's foremost living novelist. His novels have earned many literary awards and prizes, and have all been bestsellers in Japan. They include THE WOMAN IN THE DUNES, THE ARK SAKURA, THE FACE OF ANOTHER, THE BOX MAN, and THE RUINED MAP. Kaori Nagai graduated from the University of Tokyo and obtained a doctorate in Postcolonial Studies from the University of Kent, UK, where she currently teaches. She is the author of Empire of Analogies: Kipling, India and Ireland (forthcoming: Cork University Press).
- Author(s)Kobo Abe
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication28/09/2006
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitlePenguin Modern Classics
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Classics
- Weight191 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Introduction byKaori Nagai
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.25
- AU $23.66Trending at AU $30.15
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.18
- AU $19.99Trending at AU $20.58
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.14
- AU $47.56Trending at AU $49.65
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.