Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $37.62Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by the_nile
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $42.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Face of Texas celebrates the individuality and independent spirit of Texas through compelling portraits of its people by Michael O'Brien, one of America's premier portrait photographers. In this acclaimed photo essay, he assembles a gallery of teworthy Texans both native and naturalized, ranging from former president George W. Bush and first ladies and Laura Bush and Lady Bird Johnson, to famous figures such as Willie Nelson, Larry McMurtry, George Strait, Tim Duncan, Kinky Friedman, and Beyonce, to ordinary folks who've made their mark on Texas as ranchers and farmers, cheerleaders and beauty queens, conservationists, church members, bar and restaurant owners, Odd Fellows, schoolteachers, artists and writers, business owners, and athletes. For this new edition of The Face of Texas, O'Brien has added seventeen new portraits and six updated photographs of people from the first edition. Writer and former Life reporter Elizabeth O'Brien offers insightful verbal vignettes to accompany the new portraits and also brings us up to date with the lives of the rest of the subjects. This winning combination of images and stories about a fascinating, eclectic mix of Texans is a fitting homage to a unique state and an essential addition to every Texas bookshelf.
- Author BiographyA two-time recipient of the Robert F. Kennedy Journalism Award for outstanding coverage of the disadvantaged, Michael O'Brien has photographed subjects ranging from small-town heroes to presidents. His work has appeared in numerous publications, including Life, National Geographic, Texas Monthly, the London Sunday Times, and the book Hard Ground, which pairs his portraits of the homeless with Tom Waits' powerful poetry. O'Brien's photographs are in the permanent collections of the Smithsonian's National Portrait Gallery in Washington, DC; the International Center of Photography in New York City; the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; and the Southwestern & Mexican Photography Collection at the Wittliff Collections at Texas State University. A lifelong collector of personal stories, Elizabeth O'Brien has worked as a reporter for Life magazine, as well as for newspapers in South Florida. Today, she is a writer and a psychotherapist with a private practice.
- PublisherUniversity of Texas Press
- Date of Publication15/10/2014
- Place of PublicationAustin, TX
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Texas Press
- Content Note49 color and 26 b&w photos
- Weight862 g
- Width254 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Photographer(s)Michael O'Brien
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $21.20Trending at AU $23.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.