All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFantasy sport has become big business. Recent estimates suggest that there as many as 27 million fantasy sport participants in the US alone, spending $1.5bn annually, with many millions more around the world. This is the first in-depth study of fantasy sport as a cultural and social phemen and a significant and growing component of the contemporary sports ecomy. This book presents an overview of the history of fantasy sport and its close connection to invations in sports media. Drawing on extensive empirical research, it offers an analysis of the demographics of fantasy sport, the motivations of fantasy sport players and their significance as heavy consumers of sport media and as ultra-fans. It also draws cross-cultural comparisons between fantasy sport players in the US, UK, Europe and beyond. The Fantasy Sport Industry examines the key commercial and media stakeholders in the production and development of fantasy sport, and points to new directions for the fantasy sport industry within modern sport business. It is therefore, fascinating reading for any student, scholar or professional with an interest in sports media, sports business, fandom, the relationship between sport and society, or cultural studies.
- Author BiographyAndrew C. Billings is the Ronald Reagan Chair of Broadcasting and Director of the Alabama Program in Sports Communication in the Department of Telecommunication and Film at the University of Alabama. He is the author/editor of seven books including Olympic Media: Inside the Biggest Show on Television (Routledge, 2008). Brody J. Ruihley is an Assistant Professor of Sport Administration in the School of Human Services at the University of Cincinnati. His primary research is in the areas of fantasy sport and public relations in sport.
- Author(s)Andrew C. Billings,Brody J. Ruihley
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication22/05/2015
- SubjectHobbies, Pastimes & Indoor Games
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note26 black & white tables
- Weight272 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.