All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSince the early 17th century, Europe and Persia have had a close association; Persia became the longed-for destination of many travellers, craftsmen, monks and knights. They travelled to Isfahan, the magnificent capital, to be received at court; they brought works of art and luxury goods with them in exchange for the finest silks and precious rugs to take back home which had a lasting influence on European and Persian art of the 17th and early 18th centuries. Few people today are aware of this important trading relationship; current political, religious and ideological differences dominate our perception of Iran today. Yet aside from this, modern Tehran has a rich and vibrant artistic life. This book explores the creative and artistic links between Persian and Europe over four centuries. Focusing on work by seven contemporary artists from Tehran, it provides an insight into a new modern Persia and its place within the international art world. At the same time, the reader is offered a fresh view of ancient art shown in contrasting juxtaposition.
- Author BiographyAxel Langer is curator for Near Eastern art Museum Rietberg, Zurich.
- PublisherScheidegger und Spiess AG, Verlag
- Date of Publication29/01/2014
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationZurich
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintScheidegger und Spiess AG, Verlag
- Content Note160 colour
- Weight1978 g
- Width245 mm
- Height325 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Edited byAxel Langer
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.64
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.03
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.72Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.