All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFamous for her short fiction - most tably The Yellow Wallpaper - Charlotte Perkins Gilman also produced a vast body of nfiction in tandem with her work as a Progressive-era feminist reformer. Rooted in groundbreaking research on Gilman's extensive correspondence, publications, and speeches, this keenly argued intellectual biography reconstructs her controversial output and the heady context in which she produced it. Judith Allen provides the first comprehensive assessment of Gilman's complicated feminism by exploring the rewned writer's theories of sexuality and evolutionary analyses of androcentric, or male-dominated, culture. These ideas, Allen shows, informed Gilman's many contributions to the suffrage movement, the fight to abolish regulated prostitution, and efforts to legalize birth control. Restoring a previously overlooked public intellectual to her preeminent place in Progressive-era politics and the history of feminism at home and abroad, Allen's landmark study provides the fullest account available of Gilman's consequential life and profoundly influential work.
- Author BiographyJudith Allen is professor of history at Indiana University.
- Author(s)Judith Allen
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication18/09/2009
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleWomen in Culture and Society Series
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Content Note48 halftones
- Weight794 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine33 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.99Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.