The Fierce Light: The Battle of the Somme July - November 1916 by Anne Powell, Robert Powell (Paperback, 2006)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $16.16+ AU $6.00 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAt 7.30 am on 1 July 1916, the Battle of the Somme opened when the first waves of the British troops went 'over the top'; by the end of the day nearly 60,000 had become casualties on the 18-mile front; one third of these men had been killed. During the following 140 days the relentless, appalling slaughter continued. By mid November, when the winter weather had set in and the battleground had become a sea of mud, the offensive was halted. The British and French armies had advanced six miles. The combined Allied and German losses were over a million men; 420,000 of those were British. The Fierce Light contains a selection of prose and poetry from 38 contemporary British, Australian and New Zealand writers who fought during the Battle of the Somme. Men from different backgrounds tell their terrible stories in powerful and vivid language. The extracts from their published works, depicting the horrendous bloodshed and destruction they experienced, are placed in chrological order between 1 July and 18 November 1916. Details of the action in which the writer was involved preface each extract.
- Author BiographyAnne Powell lived in Mons, Belgium for five years when her husband was serving on the staff at the Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe. During that time they became absorbed in the history and literature of the First World War. With their two sons and daughter they frequently visited the battlefields and cemeteries of Northern France and Flanders. They now run a publishing and book business from their home in West Wales, specialising in out-of-print books on both World Wars.
- Author(s)Anne Powell,Robert Powell
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication27/10/2006
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSutton Publishing Ltd
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight460 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $101.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.66
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.26
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $71.39
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.74
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $99.57
- AU $89.90Trending at AU $112.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.