All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.74Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionThis comprehensive and beautifully illustrated collection of essays conveys a vivid picture of a fascinating and hugely significant period in history, the Fin de Siecle. Featuring contributions from over forty international scholars, this book takes a thematic approach to a period of huge upheaval across all walks of life, and is truly invative in examining the Fin de Siecle from a global perspective. The volume includes pathbreaking essays on how the period was experienced t only in Europe and North America, but also in China, Japan, the Middle East, Latin America, Africa, India, and elsewhere across the globe. Thematic topics covered include new concepts of time and space, globalization, the city, and new political movements including nationalism, the New Liberalism , and socialism and communism. The volume also looks at the development of mass media over this period and emerging trends in culture, such as advertising and consumption, film and publishing, as well as the techlogical and scientific changes that shaped the world at the turn of the nineteenth century, such as the invention of the telephone, new transport systems, eugenics and physics. The Fin-de-Siecle World also considers issues such as selfhood through chapters looking at gender, sexuality, adolescence, race and class, and considers the importance of different religions, both old and new, at the turn of the century. Finally the volume examines significant and emerging trends in art, music and literature alongside movements such as realism and aestheticism. This volume conveys a vivid picture of how politics, religion, popular and artistic culture, social practices and scientific endeavours fitted together in an exciting world of change. It will be invaluable reading for all students and scholars of the Fin-de-Siecle period.
- Author BiographyMichael Saler is Professor of History at the University of California at Davis. His publications include As If: Modern Enchantment and the Literary Prehistory of Virtual Reality (2012); The Avant-Garde in Interwar England: 'Medieval Modernism' and the London Underground (1999) and editor, with Joshua Landy, of The Re-Enchantment of the World (2009).
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication26/11/2014
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Series TitleRoutledge Worlds
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note55 black & white illustrations
- Weight1678 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine56 mm
- Edited byMichael Saler
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.