All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.94
About this product
- DescriptionThe transition from silent to sound films is a fascinating time in the history of mass entertainment. In the audiences' eyes, the halting, stage bound earliest 'talkies' paled in comparison to the fluid, lyrical silents they replaced. Within a few years the techlogy improved, allowing filmmakers to produce pictures with the added benefits of dialog, song and sound. However, that five-year period was long eugh for careers to have ripened or been ruined and for studio fortunes to have been made or lost. This study of early sound shorts begins with an explanation of the development of sound motion pictures in Hollywood by such influential companies as Warner Bros. and Fox, with an emphasis on short subjects, leading up to the first few months when all of the major studios were capable of producing them. The next chapters discuss the impact on other mass entertainments, the development of audible news reels and other n-fiction shorts, as well as the origins of animated sound subjects. A comprehensive list of pre - 1932 American - made shorts completes the volume. These shorts are organized by studio and type, but for readers starting from scratch, there is an extensive index of film titles and people.
- Author BiographyEdwin M. Bradley is the entertainment editor and film critic of The Flint (Michigan) Journal. He is also the author of The First Hollywood Musicals (2004).
- Author(s)Edwin M. Bradley
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication15/05/2009
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Content Note68 photos, notes, bibliography, index
- Weight975 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine36 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.