All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $138.24Trending at AU $169.12
- AU $26.09Trending at AU $29.63
- AU $64.00Trending at AU $70.54
- AU $11.95Trending at AU $13.39
- AU $48.50Trending at AU $52.88
- AU $37.01Trending at AU $44.77
- AU $33.79Trending at AU $49.82
About this product
- DescriptionYax is too young to accompany his father on a trading expedition and must stay at home with his mother and his younger sister. Disappointed, he goes off to practise his spear-throwing. When he loses his spear, he thinks he is old eugh to go into the forest to look for it, even though he has been warned about the dangers that await children who wander into the woods alone ...In this, her second book inspired by First Nations' stories, author and illustrator Caroll Simpson tells how the first mosquito came to be. Her dramatic tale of a young boy's narrow escape from the dangers of the forest illustrates a mother's wisdom in her response to her son's accidental bid for independence. Caroll introduces readers to a world of Lightning Snakes, Woodworm, Creek Woman, Mouse Woman, Two-Headed Serpents, the Wild Man of the Forest and a Bloodsucking Monster. Written for children aged 6 to 11, Caroll's charming story is illustrated with her distinctive colour paintings, intended to celebrate the culture of the First Nations. A glossary of legendary mythical creatures, describing their traits and identifying physical details, provides an informative backdrop for Caroll's tale. Also available in paperback.
- Author BiographyCaroll Simpson is the author and illustrator of Coastal Spirit Tales, a series of children's picture books that celebrates and takes inspiration from the art, mythology, and environment of the Pacific Northwest Coast. Whale Child is the fifth book in the series that also includes The First Beaver, The First Mosquito, The Salmon Twins, and Brothers of the Wolf. Caroll is also an educator, who thought Native art and drama to elementary school children for over twenty years.
- Author(s)Caroll Simpson
- PublisherHeritage House Publishing Co Ltd
- Date of Publication01/09/2010
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Place of PublicationBritish Columbia
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintHeritage House Publishing Co Ltd
- Content Notecolour illus
- Weight372 g
- Width260 mm
- Height209 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.