All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis selection of the earliest poems in English comprises works from an age in which verse was t written down, but recited aloud and remembered. Heroic poems celebrate courage, loyalty and strength, in excerpts from Beowulf and in The Battle of Brunanburgh, depicting King Athelstan's defeat of his rthern enemies in 937 AD, while The Wanderer and The Seafarer reflect on exile, loss and destiny. The Gmic Verses are proverbs on the natural order of life, and the Exeter Riddles are witty linguistic puzzles. Love elegies include emotional speeches from an abandoned wife and separated lovers, and devotional poems include a vision of Christ's cross in The Dream of the Rood, and Caedmon's Hymn, perhaps the oldest poem in English, speaking in praise of God.
- Author BiographyMichael Alexander is Professor of English at the University of St Andrews, and translator/editor of Beowulf: A Verse Translation and Beowulf: A Glossed Text, Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales: The First Fragment and The Earliest English Poems.
- Author(s)Michael Alexander
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication29/05/2008
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Classics
- Content NoteIllustrations, maps
- Weight126 g
- Width133 mm
- Height199 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.94
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.