About this product
- DescriptionIn many ways, religion was the United States' first prejudice-both an early source of bigotry and the object of the first sustained efforts to limit its effects. Spanning more than two centuries across colonial British America and the United States, The First Prejudice offers a groundbreaking exploration of the early history of persecution and toleration. The twelve essays in this volume were composed by leading historians with an eye to the larger significance of religious tolerance and intolerance. Individual chapters examine the prosecution of religious crimes, the biblical sources of tolerance and intolerance, the British imperial context of toleration, the bounds of Native American spiritual independence, the nuances of anti-Semitism and anti-Catholicism, the resilience of African American faiths, and the challenges confronted by skeptics and freethinkers. The First Prejudice presents a revealing portrait of the rhetoric, regulations, and customs that shaped the relationships between people of different faiths in seventeenth- and eighteenth-century America. It relates changes in law and language to the lived experience of religious conflict and religious cooperation, highlighting the crucial ways in which they molded U.S. culture and politics. By incorporating a broad range of groups and religious differences in its accounts of tolerance and intolerance, The First Prejudice opens a significant new vista on the understanding of America's long experience with diversity.
- Author BiographyChris Beneke is Associate Professor of History and Director of the Valente Center for Arts and Sciences at Bentley University and author of Beyond Toleration: The Religious Origins of American Pluralism. Christopher S. Grenda is Associate Professor of History at Bronx Community College of the City University of New York.
- PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania Press
- Date of Publication05/11/2010
- SubjectReligious Studies: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleEarly American Studies
- Place of PublicationPennsylvania
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Pennsylvania Press
- Weight680 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Edited byChris Beneke,Christopher S. Grenda
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.43New
- AU $65.08Used
- AU $78.89New
- AU $105.79New
- AU $75.81Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $21.41Trending at AU $23.14
- AU $19.47Trending at AU $30.09
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.58
- AU $17.62Trending at AU $20.11
- AU $24.18Trending at AU $25.80
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.64
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $88.04
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.