All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionVolume One of Richard Sullivan's Trilogy is a sweeping historical vel of the Irish-American grab for power in Buffalo NY in the 19th Century and the personalities involved: newspaper editors, politicians, thugs and incents. Newlywed Sam Clemens, a.k.a. Mark Twain, was gifted with a spledid home with servants, as well as a part ownership of the Buffalo Express newspaper by his generous father-in-law, yet the Great American Storyteller would find neither happiness r success in this unruly city. When First Ward dock-walloper Fingy Conners' family members all died mysteriously within a single year, he inherited everything, including his father's saloon. Using his saloon as the key, he set out to control labor contracting on Buffalo's docks. So overwhelming was his iron-handed saloon-boss system that within a few years he controlled the entirety of shipping on the Great Lakes, ascending to ermous wealth and power in less than a decade, defrauding voters, installing his own puppet politicians, and dominating the entire Buffalo Police Department. By hiring, paying, feeding, watering and boarding laborers out of his saloons, Conners enslaved thousands of families in Buffalo and all around the Great Lakes in misery and hunger for two decades. After the Sullivan Brothers were placed in an orphanage by their destitute mother following the death of their Union soldier father in the Civil War, poverty, insecurity and violence infected their lives. John P. Sullivan, the city's powerful First Ward alderman, was installed in that office by Fingy Conners and held it for a quarter century. The brothers grew up with Conners and maintained their troubled alliance with the saloon-boss throughout their lives. Brother James' fortuitous encounter with Mark Twain as a boy, soon after the famous author moved to Buffalo to edit the Buffalo Express newspaper, and the friendship it initiated, would have a remarkable in uence on James for the rest of his life. As Detective Sergeant James E. Sullivan of the Buffalo Police Department, Jim lacked his brother's blind ambition, and found himself caught up amid forces he could t surmount. He was compelled to follow the orders of his Sheehan-Conners controlled superiors and to rescue his brother from the endless messes the Alderman created for himself. Jack White, secret murderer and Boston politician, was Buffalo's most powerful alderman, ever. Posing as a Republican, White helped pave the way for the rise of Democrats Sheehan, Sullivan and Conners. But once he'd served his purpose, his former allies swiftly did away with him. In the middle of this maelstrom are the Sullivan wives; the Alderman's Annie, who is blinded to what's transpiring around her by the perks she enjoys due to her husband's status, and the Detective's Hannah, who is rewarded with little more an endless stream of grief and frustration for standing by her spouse.
- Author BiographyRichard Sullivan is the great grandson of THE FIRST WARD's protagonist, Detective Sergeant James Sullivan of Buffalo Precinct 7. The author's father was born and raised in the First Ward and brought up his nine children on stories of his youth spent there, which at one time terrified them, but in more recent times, fascinates. Volume 2, titled FINGY CONNERS & THE NEW CENTURY, was released in 2012. Sullivan is the author of two very successful award-winning Hawaii photo-guidebooks, DRIVING & DISCOVERING OAHU and DRIVING & DISCOVERING MAUI & MOLOKAI, as well as a fitness book for people over 40, titled RECLAIM YOUR YOUTH.
- Author(s)Richard Sullivan
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication21/06/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight658 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $19.69
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.24
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.13
- AU $47.57Trending at AU $49.64
- AU $26.48Trending at AU $34.75
- AU $27.13Trending at AU $27.89
- AU $11.85Trending at AU $14.33
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.