All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe LNER Class A3 Pacific locomotive No. 4472 'Flying Scotsman' is one of the world's most iconic steam engines. It was built in 1923 for the London and North Eastern Railway at Doncaster Works to a design by Nigel Gresley. Taking its name from the London to Edinburgh n-stop service on which it was employed, 'Flying Scotsman' worked many long-distance express trains in a career in which it covered more than 2,000,000 miles (3,200,000 km). This fascinating pocket-book tells the story of this distinguished locomotive through authentic period literature including LNER and BR service manuals, giving an insight into her construction and operation from the height of her fame in the 1930s through to the end of her BR service in 1963.
- Author BiographyRichard Harry Norman Hardy worked on Britain's railways for over forty years, serving his apprenticeship at Doncaster Locomotive Works and Running Shed between 1941-44, before becoming a shed master, locomotive engineer, divisional manager at King's Cross and Liverpool stations and an Engineering and Research development adviser. He retired in 1982 with more than 60,000 miles of footplate experience on all classes of LNER, GC and GN engines. Richard is the author of four books and numerous articles, originally writing under the pseudonym of Balmore. He completed two autobiographical works, Steam in the Blood (1971) and Railways in the Blood (1985) as well as biographies of Beeching: Champion of the Railway? (1989), and Bert Hooker: Legendary Railwayman (1994).
- Author(s)R. H. N. Hardy
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication24/10/2013
- SubjectTrains & Railways: General Interest
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note25 illustrations
- Weight241 g
- Width120 mm
- Height180 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Introduction byRupert Wheeler
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.