All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionColin Turnbull lived among the Pygmies as their friend for three years. He writes about their hunting parties, their madic camps, their quarrels and love affairs, their music and their ceremonies. His is a magnificent account of an earthly paradise and of a legendary and utterly delightful people.
- Author BiographyColin Turnbull is now retired, having held a number of teaching posts at American universities. But he received his university education and anthropological training at Oxford, which confirmed his already strongly humanistic feelings. For him field work was the most important part of his career, and although 'the field' was mainly in East and Central Africa, it was also India and Tibet, and (more recently) Polynesia, where he lived for three years. In the United States he was actively engaged in academic research into the prison system, and did much work on 'death row' in a number of states, as a result of which he emerged more strongly opposed than ever to capital punishment, on both academic and moral grounds. The same kind of concern for humanity shows in much of his writing. He was ordained in India as a full Buddhist monk by the Dalai Lama in1992, although his first contact with Tibetan Buddhism was as far back as 1949. His publications include Lonely African, The Mountain People, Tibet (with Thubten Norbu), and The Human cycle. He divides his time between the monastery of which he is a member in Dharmasala, and the United States.
- Author(s)Colin M. Turnbull
- PublisherVintage Publishing
- Date of Publication06/01/1994
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Out-of-print date28/09/2016
- Content Note1
- Weight299 g
- Width135 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.