All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionChallenging conventional history, Amity Shlaes offers a striking reinterpretation of the Great Depression that devastated America in the early part of the twentieth century. She shows how both Presidents Hoover and Roosevelt failed to understand the prosperity of the 1920s and heaped massive burdens on the country that more than offset the benefit of New Deal programs. From 1929 to 1940, federal intervention helped to make the Depression great by forgetting the men and women who sought to help themselves. In this illuminating work of history, Shlaes follows the struggles of those w forgotten people, from a family of butchers in Brooklyn who dealt a stunning blow to the New Deal, to Bill W., who founded Alcoholics Anymous, and Father Divine, a black cult leader. She takes a fresh look at the great scapegoats of the period, from Andrew Mellon to Sam Insull of Chicago. Finally, she traces the mounting agony of the New Dealers themselves. Authoritative, original, and utterly engrossing, The Forgotten Man reveals how those dark years shaped both current political challenges and the strong national character that helps Americans to confront them.
- Author BiographyAmity Shlaes is a senior fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations in economic history. She is also a syndicated columnist for Bloomberg. She has written for the Financial Times and the Wall Street Journal, where she was an editorial board member. Over the years her work has appeared in The New Yorker, Fortune, Forbes, National Review, the New Republic, Foreign Affairs and both the Spectator and the American Spectator. While preparing this book she served as JP Morgan fellow at the American Academy in Berlin. Shlaes is the author of The Greedy Hand and Germany: The Empire Within.
- Author(s)Amity Shlaes
- PublisherVintage Publishing
- Date of Publication02/07/2009
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight665 g
- Width154 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine37 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.44Trending at AU $23.89
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.24Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.