All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $86.41
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $108.47
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $61.10
- AU $72.44Trending at AU $79.22
- AU $43.80Trending at AU $49.39
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.81
- AU $13.04Trending at AU $15.70
About this product
- DescriptionThe Fortress is one of the most significant and fascinating vels to come out of the former Yugoslavia. Ahmet Shabo returns home to eighteenth-century Sarajevo from the war in Russia, numbed by the death in battle or suicide of nearly his entire military unit. In time he overcomes the anguish of war, only to find that he has emerged a reflective and contemplative man in a society that does t value, and will t tolerate, the subversive implications of these qualities.
- Author BiographyMe a Selimovic (1910-82) is one of the most significant writers to emerge from Bosnia and Herzegovina. Born in Sarajevo, of Muslim descent, he brought to the literature of Yugoslavia an unprecedented psychological subtlety and an existential concern for characters at crucial moments of their lives. His novel Death and the Dervish was published by Northwestern University Press in 1996. E. D. Goy was a lecturer in Slavonic studies at Cambridge for thirty-five years until his retirement in 1990. Jasna Levinger was a lecturer in English language and sociolinguistics at the Universities of Sarajevo and Novi Sad. She now lives in Cambridge.
- Author(s)Mesa Selimovic
- PublisherNorthwestern University Press
- Date of Publication16/09/1999
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleWritings from an Unbound Europe S.
- Place of PublicationEvanston
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNorthwestern University Press
- Weight358 g
- Width126 mm
- Height200 mm
- Spine22 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.