The Fortunes of Africa: A 5000-Year History of Wealth, Greed, and Endeavor by Martin Meredith (Hardback, 2014)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $48.97Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by the_nile
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $42.84+ AU $28.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAfrica has been coveted for its riches ever since the era of the Pharaohs. In past centuries, it was the lure of gold, ivory, and slaves that drew fortune-seekers, merchant-adventurers, and conquerors from afar. In modern times, the focus of attention is on oil, diamonds, and other valuable minerals. Land was ather prize. The Romans relied on their colonies in rthern Africa for vital grain shipments to feed the population of Rome. Arab invaders followed in their wake, eventually colonizing the entire region. More recently, foreign corporations have acquired huge tracts of land to secure food supplies needed abroad, just as the Romans did. In this vast and vivid parama of history, Martin Meredith follows the fortunes of Africa over a period of 5,000 years. With compelling narrative, he traces the rise and fall of ancient kingdoms and empires; the spread of Christianity and Islam; the enduring quest for gold and other riches; the exploits of explorers and missionaries; and the impact of European colonization. He examines, too, the fate of modern African states and concludes with a glimpse of their future. His cast of characters includes religious leaders, mining magnates, warlords, dictators, and many other legendary figures--among them Mansa Musa, ruler of the medieval Mali empire, said to be the richest man the world has ever kwn. I speak of Africa, Shakespeare wrote, and of golden joys. This is history on an epic scale.
- Author BiographyMartin Meredith is a journalist, biographer, and historian who has written extensively on Africa and its recent history. His previous books include Mandela, Mugabe, Diamonds, Gold, and War, Born in Africa, and The Fate of Africa. He lives near Oxford, England.
- Author(s)Martin Meredith
- PublisherThe Perseus Books Group
- Date of Publication14/10/2014
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Note16-pp B/W photo insert
- Weight1114 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine58 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet: Lose Weight Fast and Reprogramme Your Body for Life by Michael Mosley (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $19.43New
- AU $7.82Used
- AU $21.30New
Women Who Run with Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype by Clarissa Pinkola Estes (Paperback, 1996)
- AU $14.09New
- AU $6.50Used
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $23.80New
- AU $11.17Used
- AU $20.04New
- AU $32.17New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.86Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $40.04Trending at AU $43.83
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.54
- AU $19.74Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $58.25Trending at AU $62.59
- AU $101.00Trending at AU $118.99
- AU $62.84Trending at AU $78.53
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.