All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Fortunes of the Novel examines the early emergence of the vel as a genre in Spain and its subsequent rise in England. Until the sixteenth century, poetic space had never been occupied by material concerns such as hunger, which had, in fact, been disvalued and rigorously excluded from literature. The consequent combat between poetic anti-material morality and an almost irresistible new ecomic motivation played itself out in Spain in a great preparatory triad composed of Lazarillo de Tormes, Aleman's Guzman de Alfarache, and Cervantes' La gitanilla. The vel floundered as a result of undercapitalization, but was revived in England by Daniel Defoe's transposition of the Hispanic fictive inheritance. Ultimately, Walter Scott was the one to establish the vel as a genre that is legally conveyable and inheritable, and passed it on to Dickens, who, in Our Mutual Friend, finally produced a sufficient capital that is both poetic and good.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Robert ter Horst is Professor of Spanish and Comparative Literature at the University of Rochester, New York. He earned his Ph.D. in Spanish at the Johns Hopkins University. He has taught at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, Duke University, and the University of Arizona, and has been a visiting professor at Cornell University. A corresponding member of the Hispanic Society of America since 1983, he is the author of Calderon: The Secular Plays and of nearly fifty scholarly articles, most of them dealing with Spanish golden age prose fiction, poetry, and drama.
- Author(s)Robert Ter Horst
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/05/2003
- Series TitleStudies on Cervantes and His Time
- Series Part/Volume Number8
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight440 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $101.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.66
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.26
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $71.39
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.74
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $99.57
- AU $89.90Trending at AU $112.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.