All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Fragmented Female Body and Identity explores the symbol of the wounded and scarred female body in selected postmodern, multiethnic American women's vels, namely Toni Morrison's Beloved , Theresa Hak Kyung Cha's Dictee , Phyllis Alesia Perry's Stigmata , Gayl Jones' Corregidora , Emma Perez's Gulf Dreams , Paula Gunn Allen's The Woman Who Owned the Shadows , and Kathy Acker's Blood and Guts in High School and Empire of the Senseless . In each of these vels, disjointed, postmodern writing reflects the vel's focus on fragmented female bodies. The wounded and scarred body emerges from various, often intersecting, forms of oppression, including patriarchy, racism, and heterormativity. This book emphasizes the different and nuanced forms of oppression each woman faces. However, while the fragmented body symbolizes oppression and pain, it also catalyzes resistance through recognition. When female characters recognize some element of a shared oppression, they form bonds with one ather. These feminist unities, as a response to multiple forms of oppression, become viable means for resistance and healing.
- Author BiographyPamela B. June received her Ph.D. in English literature and criticism from Indiana University of Pennsylvania, where she has held teaching posts. She is Assistant Professor at Paine College in Augusta, Georgia. She has published and presented papers on multiethnic women's fiction.
- Author(s)Pamela B. June
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication18/10/2010
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleModern American Literature
- Series Part/Volume Number56
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2010
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight340 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.73
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.