All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis inaugural volume of the Franz Boas Papers: Documentary Edition series presents current scholarship from the various academic disciplines that were shaped and continue to be influenced by Franz Boas (1858-1942). Few of Boas's intellectual progeny span the range of his disciplinary and public engagements. In his later career, Boas moved beyond Native American studies to become a public intellectual and advocate for social justice particularly with reference to racism against African Americans and Jews and discrimination against women in science. He was a passionate defender of academic freedom, rigorous scholarship, and anthropology as a humane calling. Franz Boas as Public Intellectual examines Boas's stature as public intellectual in three crucial dimensions: theory, ethgraphy, and activism. The volume's contributors move across many of the disciplines within which Boas himself worked, bringing to bear their expertise in Native studies, anthropology, history, linguistics, folklore, ethmusicology, museum studies, comparative literature, English, film studies, philosophy, and journalism. This volume demonstrates a contemporary urgency to reassess Boas both within the field of anthropology and beyond.
- Author BiographyRegna Darnell is Distinguished University Professor of Anthropology at the University of Western Ontario, Canada. She is the author of Invisible Genealogies: A History of Americanist Anthropology (Nebraska, 2001). Michelle Hamilton is an associate professor and director of public history at the University of Western Ontario, Canada. She is the author of Collections and Objections: Aboriginal Material Culture in Southern Ontario.
- PublisherUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Date of Publication01/08/2015
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleFranz Boas Papers: Documentary Edition
- Place of PublicationLincoln
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight930 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine32 mm
- Edited byJoshua Smith,Michelle Hamilton,Regna Darnell,Robert L. A. Hancock
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $43.86
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.