All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe tradition of awarding the Freedom of the City still lives on in cities around the world. Many of the rights or privileges associated with the award are symbolic but conferring the privilege remains the highest hour a city can bestow. In Cork, awarding the Freedom of the City, whereby persons distinguished for public service become Horary Burgesses of the City, dates from the fourteenth century. There are four distinct periods covering the award in Cork city: 1. Fourteenth century to 1876: Horary Burgesses - largely based on status or purchase of the hour. 2. 1877 to 1921: Nationalist Heroes - a legislative framework applied and the practice was to hour nationalists. 3. 1922 to 1989: Clergy and Statesmen - chief recipients were Roman Catholic clergy. 4. 1990 to present: High Achievers - the basis of award becomes outstanding achievement. Notable recipients include Charles Stewart Parnell, William Gladstone, John Fitzgerald Kennedy, Eamon de Valera, Mary Robinson and Roy Keane. This book reveals and brings to life the rich history associated with the awarding of the Freedom of the City in Cork by describing the history of the hour and profiling table recipients.
- Author BiographyAodh Quinlivan is a lecturer in politics at the Department of Government, University College Cork. He is a specialist in the areas of local government and public sector management. He has published widely on these topics including the books: Philip Monahan: A Man Apart (2006), All Politics is Local (2009, with Liam Weeks) and Inside City Hall Politics (2011). Aodh played football with Nemo Rangers and holds senior championship medals at county, provincial and All-Ireland levels. He is married with three children.
- Author(s)Aodh Quinlivan
- PublisherThe Collins Press
- Date of Publication21/10/2013
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationCork
- Country of PublicationIreland
- ImprintThe Collins Press
- Out-of-print date23/06/2016
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight1207 g
- Width219 mm
- Height277 mm
- Spine21 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.99Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.