All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book provides a comprehensive introduction to the French language from the perspective of modern linguistics. Placing French within its social and historical context, the authors highlight the complex, diverse aspects of the language in a lively and accessible way. A variety of topics is covered, including the distribution of French in the world, the historical development of standard French, the sound system of French, its sentence patterns, and its stylistic and geographical variations. Fully updated and revised, this new edition places a greater emphasis on sociolinguistics. To make the book more user-friendly, the following new features have been added: * a further reading guide at the end of each chapter * a glossary of linguistic terms * an expanded bibliography and index.
- Author BiographyAdrian Battye taught internationally and was Lecturer in Romance Linguistics at the University of York until his death in 1993. Marie-Anne Hintze is currently Senior Lecturer in French at the University of Leeds. Paul Rowlett has taught widely throughout the world and is now Head of French at the University of Salford.
- Author(s)Adrian Battye,Marie-Anne Hintze,Paul Rowlett
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication08/06/2000
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note69 black & white tables
- Weight703 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine32 mm
- Revised byPaul Rowlett
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.51Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.