All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAcclaimed, award-winning author James L. Nelson - praised as a master of both his period and the English language by Patrick O'Brian - returns to the world of sea and sail in The French Prize, a page-turning historical vel.Jack Biddlecomb has much to live up to, being as he is the eldest son of the esteemed Captain Isaac Biddlecomb, wealthy merchant captain, leading light of the War for American Independence, and newly minted congressman. Jack finds himself off to a promising start, however, when he's given command of the merchant vessel Abigail bound from Philadelphia for Barbados.But even before the dock lines are cast off, the voyage, which should have been routine, begins to look like a stormy passage indeed. Jack is saddled with two passengers, one as unpleasant as he is highborn, the other a confidant of the Abigail 's owner who cant help meddling in the running of the ship. What's more, with the French making prizes of American merchantmen, Abigail 's owner has armed the ship and instructed Jack to fight if need be, thrusting the first-time captain and his small crew into a naval war for which they are totally unprepared. What Jack does t kw, but soon begins to suspect, is that he is being used as part of a bigger plot, one that will have repercussions on an international scale.
- Author BiographyJAMES L. NELSON has published twenty works of historical fiction and nonfiction and has won the prestigious ALA's W.Y. Boyd Literary Award for Excellence in Military Fiction, as well as the Naval Order's Samuel Eliot Morison Award. He has lectured around the country and has appeared on the Discovery Channel, the History channel, and C-SPAN's Book TV. He lives in Harpswell, Maine, with his wife and four children.
- Author(s)James L Nelson
- PublisherThomas Dunne Books
- Date of Publication14/07/2015
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThomas Dunne Books
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight544 g
- Width165 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards,With dust jacket
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.14
- AU $12.83Trending at AU $16.78
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $74.21
- AU $11.81Trending at AU $19.09
- AU $19.78Trending at AU $20.54
- AU $29.20Trending at AU $31.08
- AU $47.07Trending at AU $49.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.