All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis study consists of a twofold, interrelated enquiry: the Orientalism of psychoanalysis and the psychoanalysis of Orientalism - bringing into conversation Sigmund Freud and Edward Said and, thereby, the founding texts of psychoanalysis and postcolonial studies. The immediate object of this exploration is the Freudian Orient and we thus begin by tracing the strong Orientalist presence in Freud's writings with examples from his early as well as later correspondence, his diaries, and his psychological works. Following these examples of manifest Orientalism, we will pursue more latent meanings by engaging two of Freud's favorite metaphors: archaeology and travel. Whereas the former soon uncovers a veritable porta Orientis, conducting to an external Orient, the latter reveals an internalised Orient traversed by Jewishness, anti-Semitism and the Bible. Unveiling the figure of Moses shows how Freud's strategy to resist anti-Semitic Orientalism by way of universalist reversal is only partially successful as he cant extricate himself from the historical assumptions of that discourse. Nonetheless, it is the revolutionary concept of the unstable subject posited by Freudian psychoanalysis which enables a more nuanced understanding of the vicissitudes of Freud's own Orientalist discourse.
- Author BiographyFrank F. Scherer, PhD, teaches in the Department of Communication Studies at York University, Toronto, Canada. He is author of 'UFA Orientalism - The Orient in Early German Film: Lubitsch and May in 'Cinema Journal', Issue 1 (2012); 'Freud's Turkey: Psychoanalysis and the Vicissitudes of Orientalism' in Veronika Bernard et. al. (eds.) 'Breaking the Stereotype: From Orient and Occident to a Mutual Understanding of Images' (2011); 'Sanfancon: Orientalism, Self-Orientalization, and Chinese Religion in Cuba' in Patrick Taylor (ed.), 'Nation Dance: Religion, Identity and Cultural Difference in the Caribbean' (2001).
- Author(s)Frank F. Scherer
- PublisherKarnac Books
- Date of Publication21/10/2015
- SubjectPsychology: Professional & General
- Series TitleThe History of Psychoanalysis Series
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintKarnac Books
- Weight272 g
- Width147 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.47New
- AU $65.12Used
- AU $78.93New
- AU $105.86New
- AU $75.86Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $21.65Trending at AU $23.16
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.66
- AU $17.62Trending at AU $20.12
- AU $24.18Trending at AU $25.92
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.70
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $88.09
- AU $75.90Trending at AU $82.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.