All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.84
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.82
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.31
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.95
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.00
- AU $44.73Trending at AU $47.15
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $28.26
About this product
- DescriptionThis book's title betrays at once that it belongs in the forecast literature. Peering into the future is a toriously treacherous venture. Nevertheless, it has become a prac- tice endemic to the business and government worlds as well as to academia, especially ecomics. We like to be- lieve that the ermous growth of forecasting in the face of some disappointments reflects real needs of decision- makers (as well as the general public's well-warranted curiosity about the future). Fashion alone could hardly explain the sustained increase in the market for forecast services during the past few decades. Some professionals insist on fine distinctions be- tween the forecast, the projection, the prediction-and the prophecy. The differences are more semantic than real, as the mandatory resort to Webster confirms. The entry forecast includes references to prediction and prophecy without differentiation, while projection is defined, among other things, as prediction or advance estimate. We use mainly the term projections because v PREFACE vi much of our statistical research is based on forward es- timates of population and households by the U.S. Bu- reau of the Census which the bureau itself, the greatest fountain of data in the world, records as projections.
- Author(s)Leland S. Burns,Leo Grebler
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication13/03/2012
- SubjectManagement Techniques: Professional
- Series TitleEnvironment, Development and Public Policy: Cities and Development
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight303 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1986
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.