All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhen the Great Northern Railway and London & North Eastern Railway operated in Doncaster, it was the most exciting period in the town's history, argues Peter Tuffrey. Yet, if it hadn't been for Doncaster MP Edmund Beckett Denison the railway and the railway workshops may never have come to the area. Having persuaded the GNR to extend their line from London to York through the town, he then coaxed the company to transfer its locomotive repair workshops from Boston to Doncaster. Thereafter, the town's reputation grew: it became kwn as a place where the latest designs for locomotives and carriages were conceived and brought to life to enrich the nation's railways. Sir Nigel Gresley was the architect of much of this success. Working first from Doncaster and then from his offices in London, he constantly kept in touch with the local Plant Works, as it became kwn, where many of his outstanding engines, including the Flying Scotsman and Mallard, were produced. Mention must also be made of his marvellous carriages, particularly the Coronation, Silver Jubilee and West Riding sets. These and many more are illustrated in this book. Sadly, the important role Doncaster once played in the country's rail network is w perhaps lost forever. But hopefully this book will go some way to illustrate and record the glorious past of the GNR and LNER in Doncaster.
- Author BiographyPeter Tuffrey was born in Doncaster in 1953. He studied Fine Art at Doncaster College of Art from 1970 to 1971 and then at Leeds University until 1974. He held the position of Keeper of Fine and Decorative Arts at Doncaster Museum and Art Gallery 1975 - 1995, was a freelance writer 1995 - 2000 and PR Media Consultant for Doncaster Rovers 2000 - 2002. He was Area Manager for the Music Ground Group of Companies 2003 - 2010. In his spare time, he has built up a massive photographic archive of the region's towns and villages. With this he has produced over fifty publications. He has also written many articles for local and regional newspapers. He lives in Doncaster.
- Author(s)Peter Tuffrey
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication08/08/2013
- SubjectTrains & Railways: General Interest
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note160
- Weight340 g
- Width172 mm
- Height248 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.