The Gay Revolution: The Story of the Struggle by Lillian Faderman (Hardback, 2015)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $42.00Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by wordery
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $55.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe sweeping story of the modern struggle for gay, lesbian, and trans rights-from the 1950s to the present-based on amazing interviews with politicians, military figures, legal activists, and members of the entire LGBT community who face these challenges every day. The fight for gay, lesbian, and trans civil rights-the years of outrageous injustice, the early battles, the heart-breaking defeats, and the victories beyond the dreams of the gay rights pioneers-is the most important civil rights issue of the present day. Based on rigorous research and more than 150 interviews,The Gay Revolutiontells this unfinished story t through dry facts but through dramatic accounts of passionate struggles, with all the sweep, depth, and intricacies only an award-winning activist, scholar, and velist like Lillian Faderman can evoke. The Gay Revolutionbegins in the 1950s, when law classified gays and lesbians as criminals, the psychiatric profession saw them as mentally ill, the churches saw them as sinners, and society victimized them with irrational hatred. Against this dark backdrop, a few brave people began to fight back, paving the way for the revolutionary changes of the 1960s and beyond. Faderman discusses the protests in the 1960s; the counter reaction of the 1970s and early eighties; the decimated but united community during the AIDS epidemic; and the current hurdles for the right to marriage equality. In the words of the eyewitnesses who were there through the most critical events,The Gay Revolutionpaints a nuanced portrait of the LGBT civil rights movement. A defining account, this is the most complete and authoritative book of its kind.
- Author BiographyLillian Faderman is an internationally respected scholar of lesbian history and literature. She is the author of several award-winning books on LBGT history. Her book Surpassing the Love of Men (1981) is considered the first serious, full-length historical study of lesbians.Odd Girls and Twilight Lovers (1991) is often called a classic of LGBT history. Both titles were named New York Times Notable Books of the Year .
- Author(s)Lillian Faderman
- PublisherSimon & Schuster
- Date of Publication10/09/2015
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2015
- ImprintSimon & Schuster
- Content Note1
- Weight1120 g
- Width160 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine43 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.