All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Geopolitical Aesthetic is a dazzling...distillation and application of the theoretical system he first presented in The Political Unconscious (1981). -The San Francisco Bay Guardian Taking contemporary films from the United States, Russia, Taiwan, France, and the Philippines, The Geopolitical Aesthetic offers a reading of some of the most interesting films of the last decade and a general account of filmic representation in the postmodern world. Fredric Jameson poses some essential questions: How does representation function in contemporary film? How does contemporary cinema represent an ever more complex and international social reality? Jameson's sophisticated and theoretically informed readings stress the ways in which disparate films-for example, Godard's Passion, Pakula's All the President's Men, Yang's The Terrorizer, Tahimik's The Perfumed Nightmare, Tarkovsky's Andrei Roublev-confront similar problems of representation. The solutions vary widely but the drive remains the same-the desire to find adequate allegories for our social existence. The Geopolitical Aesthetic, a refinement and development of the arguments put forward in Jameson's seminal work The Political Unconscious, is crucial reading for everyone interested in both film analysis and cultural studies.
- Author BiographyFREDRIC JAMESON is Distinguished Professor of Comparative Literature at Duke University, where he directs the Graduate Program in Literature. His numerous published works include Signatures of the Visible, The Concept of Postmodernism, and Late Marxism: Adorno on the Persistence of the Dialectic.
- Author(s)Fredric R. Jameson
- PublisherIndiana University Press
- Date of Publication01/07/1995
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Series TitlePerspectives
- Place of PublicationBloomington, IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIndiana University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight397 g
- Width3895 mm
- Height5830 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.23
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $27.50Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.79
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.