All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1960 the West Indies arrive in Australia, bringing with them a carnival of music, colour and possibility. Michael, who is sixteen, is enthralled. If, like his heroes, he has the gift of speed, he will move beyond his suburb into the great world...And yet, as his summer unfolds, Michael realises that there are other ways to live. When the calypso chorus accompanying Frank Worrell and his team fades, Michael has learnt many things - about his parents, his suburb, a girl called Kathleen Marsden, and about himself. The Gift of Speed is a masterful blend of storytelling, memorable characters and a uniquely Australian sensibility by a velist at the height of his powers.
- PrizesShortlisted for Miles Franklin Literary Award 2005.
- Author(s)Steven Carroll
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers (Australia) Pty Ltd
- Date of Publication01/11/2008
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationPymble, NSW
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintFourth Estate
- Weight252 g
- Width129 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $21.20
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $77.92
- AU $21.87Trending at AU $24.81
- AU $15.99Trending at AU $21.20
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $20.54
- AU $14.46Trending at AU $15.42
- AU $12.82Trending at AU $14.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.