All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSome of life's most treasured gifts at first may seem like thing short of bad luck. Just ask professional athlete Jeff Glasbrenner, the author of the inspiring new memoir, The Gift of a Day. At the young age of eight years old, fate threw him an unexpected curve when a farm accident suddenly left him as an amputee. And, what's even more surprising about this traumatic event is that the author counts that fateful day as one of the most blessed days of all his years. Now a widely acclaimed motivational public speaker, Glasbrenner shares his journey from injured farm boy to wheelchair basketball Paralympic and triathlete. Spanning athletics, family history, and more, The Gift of a Day outlines twelve days that he chose to view as gifts rather than low points. Starting with a childhood accident that took his leg, recalling the frustration, shame, and defeat that followed the event. From there, he shares his mother's courage in refusing to fetch him a Coke; his college introduction to wheelchair basketball; his move to Spain; his despair of having t finished the Ironman triathlon in Kentucky and meeting his wife. Through fatherhood, triathlons, illnesses, and the loss of loved ones, the book demonstrates how the darkest days emerged to strengthen his resolve, and deepen his character. In the end, these attributes resulted in his becoming a Wheelchair Basketball World Champion, a three-time Paralympian, Paralympic Games Bronze Medalist, and winner of multiple Ironman competitions competing as a physically challenged athlete. Written to remind all of us that we have a choice to take the gifts that are given to every day of our lives, The Gift of a Day enables anyone to learn to recognize them as the gifts they are and to embrace them. It's a must for anyone who can benefit from the author's proven belief that, with the right perspective and commitment, life's events can manifest in extraordinary, meaningful ways.
- Author BiographyJeff Glasbrenner's motivational public speaking inspires people all over the world. His opportunity in life came at eight years old, on the day he was involved in a traumatic farming accident that left him a below-the-knee amputee. Most would call this a tragedy, but the author considers this his greatest opportunity, which he chose to embrace by continually excelling at wheelchair basketball, triathlons, and by being a husband and father to two children. He has traveled to dozens of different countries, has met amazing people, and has risen to a world-class level in sports. In wheelchair basketball, he holds a National Championship scoring record of sixty-three points and twenty-seven rebounds in one game, and played in Europe professionally for three years. The author is a three-time Paralympian and a two-time World Champion (Gold Medal). He has completed nineteen Ironman triathlons, and has won numerous races in his division. For more information, visit www.teamglas.com.
- Author(s)Jeff Glasbrenner
- Date of Publication20/11/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: Sport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight277 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.