All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Girl from Hockley is a new, revised edition bringing together in one new volume this remarkable story. Born into the industrial slums of Birmingham in 1903, Kathleen Dayus became a legend in her own time. She vividly recalls her Edwardian childhood and her life as a young munitions worker during the war, marriage and life below the poverty line in the 1920s. Early widowhood and the Depression forced her to relinquish her children to Dr Barnado's homes until, eight long years later, she could afford a home for them again. Her autobiography is a testament to the indomitable spirit, humour and verve that characterised her life. Her extraordinary memory for the sights, sounds and smells of her youth, her marvellous sense of the comic and above all her spirited refusal to do anything but live life to the full, deservedly made her one of the most compelling storytellers of our time.
- Author BiographyKathleen Dayus was born in Hockley, Birmingham in 1903. She lived in Birmingham and was awarded and honorary Master of Arts degree by the University of Birmingham in December 1992 in recognition of her contribution to the writing of Birmingham's history.
- Author(s)Kathleen Dayus
- PublisherLittle, Brown Book Group
- Date of Publication21/08/2006
- SubjectAutobiography: Literary
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintVirago Press Ltd
- Content NoteSection: 8, b/w
- Weight310 g
- Width126 mm
- Height200 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.