All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA widely respected legal scholar, Islamist activist, and rewned host of al-Jazeera's most popular religious program, Sharia and Life , Yusuf al-Qaradawi is an extremely controversial figure of contemporary Islamism. When he was a young man, Qaradawi attended a lecture by Hassan al-Banna, founder of the Muslim Brotherhood, and immediately joined the organization's youth wing. After earning his degree in theology at al-Azhar University in Cairo, Qaradawi settled in Qatar, where he played a pivotal role in establishing a system of Islamic higher education. When the Muslim Brotherhood was forced underground in the 1960s, Qaradawi eschewed a formal position with the movement, opting instead to pursue a career as a major writer and ideologist of contemporary Islamist thought. Beginning in the mid-1970s, Qaradawi become one of a handful of Islamist ulama (Muslim scholars) to be accepted as an authority on doctrinal and political matters, both by Islamists and within the wider Islamic resurgence. Bettina Graf and Jakob Skovgaard-Petersen provide the first book-length treatment of Yusuf al-Qaradawi in English. Since the 1990s, Qaradawi has cleverly exploited new media to reach a global audience. He was one of the first Sunni scholars to launch his own Web site and is heavily involved with Islam Online. Having just celebrated the ten year anniversary of Sharia and Life , Qaradawi is unquestionably the most important Sunni religious figure in the world today, and these essays initiate readers into his immensely influential speeches and thought.
- Author BiographyBettina Graf is an academic assistant to the director at the Centre for Modern Oriental Studies (ZMO) in Berlin. She is currently completing her Ph.D. on the production and adaptation of fatwas in the era of electronic media with reference to the works of Yusuf al-Qaradawi. Jakob Skovgaard-Petersen is the director of the Danish-Egyptian Dialogue Institute in Cairo and the former head of the academic program at the Carsten Niebuhr Institute of Near Eastern Studies, University of Copenhagen.
- PublisherC Hurst & Co Publishers Ltd
- Date of Publication01/11/2008
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintC Hurst & Co Publishers Ltd
- Width145 mm
- Height225 mm
- Edited byBettina Graf,Jakob Skovgaard-Petersen
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.46New
- AU $7.03New
- AU $20.24New
- AU $33.17New
- AU $30.31New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.16Trending at AU $43.28
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.31
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $62.90
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $28.34Trending at AU $30.17
- AU $3.54Trending at AU $7.03
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.