All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book expands our understanding of a growing, yet largely unstudied phemen: the flow of children across borders through intercountry adoption. What explains the spread of intercountry adoption through the international system over time? McBride investigates the interconnected networks of states, individuals, and adoption agencies that have collaborated to develop the practice of intercountry adoption we see today. This book tells the story of how adoption agencies mediate between individuals and states in two ways: first by teaching states about intercountry adoption as a policy, and second by helping states implement intercountry adoption as a practice. McBride argues that this process of states learning about intercountry adoption from adoption agencies has facilitated the global development of the practice in the past seventy years.
- Author BiographyBecca McBride is Assistant Professor of Political Science and International Relations at Calvin College, Michigan, where she teaches courses on international relations and comparative politics. She holds a PhD from Vanderbilt University, Tennessee in International Relations and an MA from Georgetown University, Washington DC in Russian and East European Affairs; she is currently working on a MEd in Curriculum and Instruction. Her research focuses on processes of diffusion, human rights and children in the international system, intercountry adoption, and more effective pedagogy for teaching across cultures. Before entering academia, she worked for the US government as a Russian political and leadership analyst.
- Author(s)Becca McBride
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication14/07/2016
- SubjectLaw: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight490 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine16 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.