All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDoes Chinese food taste the same in different parts of the world? What has happened to the Chinese diet in mainland China, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau? What has affected the foodways of Chinese communities in other Asian countries with large Chinese diasporic communities? What has made Chinese food popular in Australia, Indonesia, the Philippines and Japan? What has brought about the adoption and adaptation of western food and changes in Chinese diets in Hong Kong, Taiwan and Peking? By considering the practice of globalization, this volume of essays by well-kwn anthropologists from many locales in Asia, describes changes, variations and invations to Chinese food in many parts of the world, paying particular attention to questions related to how foods are introduced, maintained, localised and reinvented according to changing lifestyles and social tastes. The book reviews and broadens classic social science theories about ethnic and social identity formation through the examination of Chinese food and eating habits in many locations. It reveals surprising changes and provides a powerful testimony to the impact of late twentieth-century globalization.
- Author BiographyDavid Y.H. Wu received his anthropological training in Taiwan, the United States and Australia, and has carried out field research in China, Taiwan, Southeast Asia and the South Pacfic. Sidney C.H. Cheung received his anthropological training in Japan and has carried out field research in Japan, Hong Kong and Fujian.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication01/02/2004
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight336 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Edited byDavid Y. H. Wu,Sidney Cheung
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.12New
- AU $30.22New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $30.69New
- AU $21.64New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.34
- AU $60.91Trending at AU $62.81
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.50
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.14
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.11
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.10
- AU $18.77Trending at AU $24.50
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.