All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe development and deployment of cleaner energy techlogies have become globalized phemena. Yet despite the fact that energy-related goods account for more than ten percent of international trade, policy makers, academics, and the business community perceive barriers to the global diffusion of these emerging techlogies. Experts point to problems including intellectual property concerns, trade barriers, and developing countries' limited access to techlogy and funding. In this book, Kelly Gallagher uses analysis and case studies from China's solar photovoltaic, gas turbine, advanced battery, and coal gasification industries to examine both barriers and incentives in clean energy techlogy transfer. Gallagher finds that the barriers are t as daunting as many assume; these techlogies already cross borders through foreign direct investment, licensing, joint R&D, and other channels. She shows that intellectual property infringement is t as widespread as business leaders fear and can be managed, and that firms in developing countries show considerable resourcefulness in acquiring techlogy legally. She finds that financing does present an obstacle, especially when new cleaner techlogies compete with entrenched, polluting, and often government-subsidized traditional techlogies. But the biggest single barrier, she finds, is the failure of government to provide sensible policy incentives. The case studies show how government, through market-formation policy, can unleash global market forces. Gallagher's findings have theoretical significance as well; she proposes a new model of global techlogy diffusion that casts doubt on aspects of techlogy transfer theory.
- Author BiographyKelly Sims Gallagher is Director of the Center for International Environment and Resource Policy and Associate Professor of Energy and Environmental Policy at Tufts University's Fletcher School. She is the author of China Shifts Gears: Automakers, Oil, Pollution, and Development (MIT Press).
- Author(s)Kelly Sims Gallagher
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication25/04/2014
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Series TitleUrban and Industrial Environments
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Content Note9 figures, 11 tables
- Weight494 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Interest AgeFrom 18
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.47New
- AU $65.12Used
- AU $78.93New
- AU $105.86New
- AU $75.86Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $64.22Trending at AU $77.83
- AU $21.83Trending at AU $23.16
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $21.54
- AU $21.91Trending at AU $23.07
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.66
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.70
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $88.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.