All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGlobalization, the City and Civil Society in Pacific Asia presents a detailed examination of the underlying issues of urban life in the Far East. Leading authorities on globalization and politics in the region cover key themes of continuity and change: * relationships between civil society and the production of urban spaces. Chapters focus on various types of 'civic spaces' that provide spaces for life that are automous from state and capital * ten case studies explore a wide variety of contexts ranging from spaces where lower classes congregated in ancient Chinese cities to cyberspaces of the contemporary internet * the history and role of civil society in social and political philosophies of societies in the Pacific Asia region * tendencies and issues related to specific types of civic spaces in a given city. Several studies find that great stress has been placed on long-standing community and civic spaces * common themes, patterns and issues as well as singularities of each particular context. In this way it can contribute to the broader (mostly Western) literature on society and space * the future of cities in Pacific Asia from the perspective of civic space. Can civic spaces be routinely created rather than appropriated through civil society-state-ecomy struggles? Most research on globalization and civil society has focused on the West, this unique book brings together a tight analysis and a series of ten case studies on Pacific Asian countries. It also theorizes and empirically explores the relationships between civil society and the production of urban spaces.
- Author BiographyMike Douglass is Professor of Urban and Regional Planning and the Director of the Globalization Research Center at the University of Hawaii, USA. K.C. Ho is Professor of Sociology at the National University of Singapore. Giok Ling Ooi is Professor at the National Institute of Education at Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. She is also Adjunct Professorial Fellow at the Institute of Policy Studies.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication30/04/2007
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Series TitleRethinking Globalizations
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 6
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note44 black & white illustrations, 11 black & white tables, 31 black & white halftones, 13 black & white line drawings
- Weight612 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byGiok Ling Ooi,Kong Chong Ho,Mike Douglass
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.23
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $27.50Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.79
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.