All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.48
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.00
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $76.73
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $84.53
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.58
- AU $34.80Trending at AU $42.19
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.62
About this product
- DescriptionFrom the generals and field commanders through to the troopers and nurses on the front lines, the Irish served at every turn in the Great War. They tore through the skies in flimsy biplanes. They soared across the seas in battleships. They charged across the tortured earth with bayonets fixed. They wrapped bandages and dabbed softly in the field hospitals. They prayed, they sang, they killed, they wept and they died. Popular historian Turtle Bunbury is rewned for uncovering important forgotten stories from our past. Here he reveals many never-before-heard tales of the Irish heroes and heroines whose lives coincided with one of the most brutal conflicts our world has ever kwn - including nuns, artists, sportsmen, poets, aristocrats, nationalists, nurses, clergymen and film directors. By turns poignant, enlightening, whimsical and darkly comic, this is history as it should be - free-wheeling and finely tuned to the rhythms of the human heart.
- Author BiographyTurtle Bunbury is one of Ireland's most prolific and energetic historians. Having grown up surrounded by old family portraits and dusty books at Lisnavagh House, County Carlow, he studied history at Trinity College Dublin before moving to Hong Kong where he became a travel writer. Returning to Ireland some years later, he was determined to bring Irish history to life for all those who felt the past was just a tedious chronicle of dates, dates, dates. His quest has led him to a succession of fascinating book titles, including the highly acclaimed Vanishing Ireland series, as well as the History Festival of Ireland, which he co-founded. Turtle is a well-known name on Irish television and radio and a contributor to magazines such as The World of Interiors, Playboy, National Geographic Traveller. He is co-presenter of RTE's 'Genealogy Roadshow', and the founder of Wistorical, an innovative concept for promoting Irish history globally. Turtle lives in County Carlow with his wife, Ally, and their two daughters, Jemima Meike and Bay Hermione.
- Author(s)Turtle Bunbury
- Date of Publication17/10/2014
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationDublin
- Country of PublicationIreland
- ImprintGill & Macmillan Ltd
- Content Note200
- Weight1105 g
- Width180 mm
- Height247 mm
- Spine35 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.