Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $13.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Golden Ass has been a favourite of the private presses and illustrators since the invention of printing. Apuleius' comic masterpiece originally composed in Latin in the second century AD, traces the hilarious misadventures of a young man a tad too curious about magic for his own good. Hoping to change himself into an owl, he turns into a donkey instead, and in this guise is sold, stolen, or otherwise shunted from one master to the next. Along the way, he sees the underbelly of the sprawling Roman Empire, with its saints and sinners, its venal merchants and greedy priests, until he's transformed back to human form via divine intervention. Not only a story of comic redemption, it is also a self-conscious early example of storytelling that left an indelible mark on later literature - from Chaucer's Canterbury Tales to Boccaccio's Decameron , and from Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream to Picchio .
- Author BiographyM.D. Usher is professor of Classics at the University of Vermont. Illustrated by T. Motley, an illustrator and cartoonist who teaches cartooning at The School for Visual Arts & Illustration at Pratt Manhattan.
- PublisherDavid R. Godine Publisher Inc
- Date of Publication01/10/2010
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLincoln
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDavid R. Godine Publisher Inc
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight308 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.50
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $77.68
- AU $56.19Trending at AU $59.28
- AU $21.84Trending at AU $24.73
- AU $15.99Trending at AU $21.14
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $20.61
- AU $28.14Trending at AU $28.49
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.