Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.24
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.88
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.97
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.07
- AU $26.15Trending at AU $26.47
- AU $35.37Trending at AU $37.41
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.81
About this product
- DescriptionEmilio Carballido (1925-2008) was one of the most invative and accomplished of Mexico's playwrights and one of the outstanding creators in the new Latin American theater. By his mid-forties he had already produced an impressive body of works in two very different veins. On the one hand, he mastered the techniques of the well-made play. On the other, he developed a richly rewarding vein of fantasy, sometimes poetic, sometimes comic, sometimes macabre-and sometimes all three. The plays in this volume are in the latter vein, ranging from surrealist farce in The Intermediate Zone to the grotesqueries of The Time and the Place, from tragicomedy in Theseus to the dreamlike permutations of The Golden Thread. But even at his most fantastic, Carballido never loses his remarkable gift for characterization: his peevish Mitaur, his raffish Nahual (were-jaguar) are wholly believable monsters.
- Author BiographyMargaret Sayers Peden is a distinguished critic and translator of Latin American literature.
- Author(s)Emilio Carballido
- PublisherUniversity of Texas Press
- Date of Publication02/07/2014
- SubjectDrama Texts, Plays & Screenplays
- Series TitleTexas Pan American Series
- Place of PublicationAustin, TX
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Texas Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight681 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Translated byMargaret Sayers Peden
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.