All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the very successful and widely discussed first volume in the Golem series, The Golem: What You Should Kw about Science, Harry Collins and Trevor Pinch likened science to the Golem, a creature from Jewish mythology, a powerful creature which, while t evil, can be dangerous because it is clumsy. In this second volume, the authors w consider the Golem of techlogy. In a series of case studies they demonstrate that the imperfections in techlogy are related to the uncertainties in science described in the first volume. The case studies cover the role of the Patriot anti-missile missile in the Gulf War, the Challenger space shuttle explosion, tests of nuclear fuel flasks and of anti-misting kerosene as a fuel for airplanes, ecomic modeling, the question of the origins of oil, analysis of the Cherbyl nuclear disaster, and the contribution of lay expertise to the analysis of treatments for AIDS.
- Author(s)Harry Collins,Trevor Pinch
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication15/05/2014
- SubjectPopular Science
- Series TitleCanto Classics
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note12 b/w illus.
- Weight330 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Explore Buying Guides
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.53Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.