All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhat are the reasons for the current epidemic of eating disorders, the increasing obsession with exercise, diet, and cosmetic surgery, the constant exhortations to look and feel good? This engrossing book examines our concern with the good body from a wide variety of perspectives, putting it in the contexts of contemporary culture and of ancient ascetic practices of self-denial. A range of experts-psychiatrists, psychologists, literary scholars, historians, a philosopher, a theologian, an anthropologist, and the former director of a center for abused women-join together to discuss why control of our bodies has become so important in contemporary culture and why society must provide its members with more positive ways to define and empower themselves. The authors discuss issues that shed light on current attitudes toward the body, such as the effects of sexual victimization on body image, a report defining the behavior of battered women as a form of maladaptive self-denial, the influence of science on predominant tions of the good body (for example, the biomedical version of premenstrual syndrome), the legal restrictions on diet pills and supplements, Flannery O'Conr's celebration of embodiment in her final vel, Parker's Back, the impact of cultural ideals of masculine beauty on men, and much more.
- Author BiographyMary G. Winkler is assistant professor in the Institute for the Medical Humanities at the University of Texas School of Medicine, Galveston. Letha B. Cole, M.D., is assistant clinical professor of psychiatry at Baylor College of Medicine.
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication01/11/2011
- SubjectPopular Psychology
- Place of PublicationNew haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight381 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edited byLetha B. Cole,Mary G. Winkler
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.65New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.