Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $23.90Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by angus_robertson
- Est. delivery by 1 Feb
- AU $19.50+ AU $8.50 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by voltarian
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA. C. Grayling, Britain's most popular and widely read philosopher, has created a secular bible that draws on the wisdom of 2,500 years of contemplative n-religious writing about all that it means to be human - from the origins of the universe to small matters of courtesy and kindness in everyday life. Designed to be read as narrative and also to be dipped into for inspiration, encouragement and consolation, The Good Book offers a thoughtful, n-religious alternative to the many people who do t follow one of the world's great religions. Instead, going back to traditions older than Christianity, and far richer and more various, including the n-theistic philosophical and literary schools of the great civilisations of both West and East, from the Greek philosophy of classical antiquity and its contemporaneous Confucian, Mencian and Mohist schools in China, down through classical Rome, the flourishing of Indian and Arab worlds, the European Renaissance and Enlightenment, the worldwide scientific discoveries of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries to the present, Grayling collects, edits, rearranges and organises the collective secular wisdom of the world in one highly readable volume. In an interview in the New York Times, AC Grayling says it is a book that 'provides resources for thinking about what the good life might be' but points out that we 'We have to take the Socratic challenge to lead the examined life [and] transcend the teachings and the teachers ...We have to think for ourselves.'
- Author BiographyA.C. Grayling is Master of the New College of the Humanities, London, and a Supernumerary Fellow of St Anne's College, Oxford. Until 2011 he was Professor of Philosophy at Birkbeck College, University of London. He believes that philosophy should take an active, useful role in society. He is the author of many books, including The Meaning of Things and Towards the Light: The Story of the Struggles for Liberty in the Modern West, and has been a regular contributor to The Times, Financial Times, Observer, Independent on Sunday, Economist, Literary Review, New Statesman and Prospect. He has been a Booker Prize judge and is a frequent and popular contributor to radio and television programmes, including Newsnight, Today, In Our Time, Start the Week and CNN news.
- Author(s)A. C. Grayling
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication14/03/2013
- SubjectHistory of Ideas & Popular Philosophy
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Out-of-print date16/10/2015
- Weight633 g
- Width135 mm
- Height205 mm
- Spine44 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
- Edition StatementExport/Airside
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $29.85Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $18.30Trending at AU $24.34
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.72Trending at AU $41.34
- AU $16.90Trending at AU $20.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.