All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.77Trending at AU $42.60
About this product
- DescriptionNobody who has even a passing acquaintance with ecomics could fail to realise that Western governments are highly indebted. Current generations have been consuming at the expense of future generations. However, just how indebted are we? The government measures how much it has borrowed to meet past spending commitments, but it does t measure how much money it needs to meet all the future pensions and healthcare promises it has made to tomorrow s older generations. Furthermore, funds have been set aside to provide for these costs. Governments are allowed to produce accounting information in such a cavalier fashion, using methods that would be illegal for private sector companies. Fortunately, though, scholars have been able to examine the detail of government policy and the financial commitments of future governments in order to determine just how indebted we are. This IEA publication brings such calculations to life by showing by how much spending will need to be cut and taxes raised in order to make the government s fiscal position sustainable. This work should be of interest to politicians, to students and teachers of ecomics and, indeed, all who are interested in public policy and the sustainability of Western ecomies.
- Author BiographyJagadeesh Gokhale is Senior Fellow at the Cato Institute in Washington DC.
- Author(s)Jagadeesh Gokhale
- PublisherInstitute of Economic Affairs
- Date of Publication28/02/2014
- SubjectEconomics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleResearch Monograph
- Series Part/Volume Number68
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintInstitute of Economic Affairs
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight213 g
- Width130 mm
- Height200 mm
- Spine9 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.