All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis exhaustive study of a set of Old High German particles, thoh, ia, and thanne, focuses on the pragmatic functions of those particles. After categorizing modal particles - particles which indicate implicitly a speaker's relationship to or attitude toward his or her own discourse - as a subset of metacommunicative particles, the author argues convincingly that thoh, ia, and thanne exhibit modal particle functions in four Old High German texts: they point to a speaker's presuppositions and expectations, determine interlocutionary force, and convey contations ranging from surprise to accusation.
- Author(s)Mary Michele Wauchope
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/07/1991
- SubjectEncyclopedias & General Reference
- Series TitleBerkeley Insights in Linguistics and Semiotics
- Series Part/Volume Number7
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published1991
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Content Note5 fig.
- Weight480 g
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $191.05New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $39.00Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
- AU $21.32Trending at AU $23.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.