All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Grand Trunk Road is the oldest, longest, and most famous highway in southern Asia. This book uses oral testimonies, photographs and texts to explore its history, and shows why it was so crucial to the process of migration to Britain and how the close links between Britain and places along it continue to this day. For millennia the Grand Trunk Road has been used by invaders to conquer the subcontinent. After the British arrived in 17th century they used it as the main artery of their conquest and rule of rthern areas of British India. Kwn locally as the 'GT Road' it was also used by its residents to begin journeys that ended all over the world, and since the days of the British Raj large numbers of them have settled in Britain. Between Delhi and the Khyber Pass, the GT Road travels through the homelands of over 90% of British Pakistanis and the vast majority of British Sikhs and Hindus from the Indian Punjab. Using stories gathered by Irna Qureshi and photographs taken by Tim Smith this book tells - for the first time here - the story of the profound impact of the British on the GT Road and its people, and how they in turn have irrevocably altered the fabric of modern day Britain.
- Author BiographyIrna Qureshi is an anthropologist and oral historian specialising in British Asian and Muslim arts and heritage. She has collaborated on several exhibitions and books on this theme. Irna holds an MA in Social Anthropology from the School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London. Tim Smith is a freelance photojournalist who combines editorial and commercial work with long term exhibition and publishing projects. His main interests as a photographer and writer have been showcased in eleven books, many of which explore the links between Britain and people in other parts of the world.
- Author(s)Irna Qureshi,Tim Smith
- PublisherDewi Lewis Publishing
- Date of Publication02/01/2011
- Place of PublicationStockport
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintDewi Lewis Publishing
- Content Note100 colour plates
- Width295 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine16 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.17Trending at AU $35.20
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.